Sunday, November 4, 2012

"A happy childhood...is the worst possible preparation for life"



 
I remember laughing when everyone else was crying.
 
I remember when Karl Malone went to the Lakers. I remember swearing at Megaman. I remember the time I didn't have any clean underwear so I had to wear my sisters. I remember getting called to the principals office. I remember the time I left a bunch of chocolates on my bed and then I fell asleep watching a movie and my sister laid me on my bed without turning the lights on. I remember waking up thinking I pooped the bed and wondering how it got on my face.
 
I remember wanting to be one of the cousins. I remember Mrs. Cook. I remember thinking Mrs. Cook was hot, I was in the third grade. I remember when school was fun. I remember when my best friend Austin moved to Texas. I remember that he didn't move to Austin, Texas.
 
I remember spankings. I remember the daisy dukes. I remember:
"Do you ever feel like really not talking to someone?"
"Yeah, all the time"
"That's how I feel right now"
I remember the feeling. And the silence. I remember leaving in the middle of the night.
 
I remember Sam. I remember how cold his house was. And the thermostat was at 75.
 
I remember making the promise with my brother to be best buds forever and our secret handshake. I don't think he remembers. I remember the first holiday that wasn't as fun as it used to be. I remember the feeling after lying. I remember becoming desensitized to that feeling.
 
I remember being funny. And I remember being able to dance.
 
I remember not peeing in a toilet for two weeks to prove I wasn't the one peeing on the toilet seat. I remember the McCombers telling me to stop peeing in their yard.
 
I remember her last breath. I remember the lipstick they put on her for the viewing, it wasn't her color.
 
I remember trying to fulfill the expectations. I remember trying to be as good.
 
"I was hoping to be happy by seventeen"

10 comments:

  1. "I was hoping to be happy by seventeen"
    Ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I remember not peeing in a toilet for two weeks to prove I wasn't the one peeing on the toilet seat. I remember the McCombers telling me to stop peeing in their yard."

    This is great. Your posts are always a joy to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole post was genius. I'm just in love with it, and I can't pick a line to steal. I'll just take this one:

    I remember the first holiday that wasn't as fun as it used to be.

    But I really want the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the feeling after lying. I remember being desensitized by that feeling.
    -took it

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I was hoping to be happy by seventeen"
    Stealing this line
    Love the post by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. "I remember trying to fulfill the expectations. I remember trying to be as good." -Stole it

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I remember making the promise with my brother to be best buds forever and our secret handshake. I don't think he remembers." Love this line. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stolen. All of it. This was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I remember her last breath. I remember the lipstick they put on her for the viewing, it wasn't her color."
    -taken.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I remember swearing at Megaman" lol i love this.

    ReplyDelete