Monday, October 15, 2012

Dads and Duct Tape

"you're mad at your father, not at me"

Dad-

Remember that time I found the coupon for the topless cleaning service in your room. I didn't even know what topless meant.

Remember all the rated R movies you said where made by Disney.

Remember all the Fruit by the Foots you bought me with someone else's money.

Remember that time the tooth fairy never came.

Then Mom died and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't going to live with you. Then they told me. They only told me somethings, but I figured out the rest.

Thanks for all the things you taught me. And I'm not saying you're a good teacher.

Last Father's day, I looked up your mug shot on the internet.

I'm scared. I'm scared that when ever I go out in public, I'm going to see you. And duct tape can't fix that. But duct tape can fix my shoes.

And I care more about my shoes than I do my father.

Duct tape forgives, but duct tape never forgets.

-Your Son







11 comments:

  1. Here's a list of things I love about this post:

    the title, the opening quote, how it's a letter, how real it feels, the honesty, the background of the old school girls, how I can laugh and my heart can break in the same post, the tooth fairy line, the simplicity of "then mom died", how you know when to be specific and when to be vague, the line about your dad teaching you things but not necessarily being a good teacher because it makes me think about my dad, how you write about sad things but you don't make me sad- you make my heart ache, how you used duct tape, your closing, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you.

    This is all it needs to be plus 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know.. But this made me cry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Just... wow. I don't even know what to say. This was... wow. I'm breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know you but I think I'm in love. with you. This is breathtaking and heartbreaking and just... everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang... Good job but I mean not every dad can be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good, and honest. I loved everyting about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog has always been my favorite and this post just solidified the number one spot for eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so good. I would never have thought of this when we got the duct tape post assignment. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I'm scared. I'm scared that when ever I go out in public, I'm going to see you. And duct tape can't fix that. But duct tape can fix my shoes." consider this stolen because I too have a dad that scares me

    ReplyDelete